RelenTech Forum
My goal for RelenTech is to provide small, easy-to-use software to the public. My emphasis is on practicality and performance, not eye-catching graphics, or useless functions. Most of my software performs just as well, and in some cases, better, than most 'commercial' programs that provide the same services. RelenTech software uses barely any system resources, even when doing CPU-intensive operations, so there is never a problem with system 'freezes'.

If you already have an account, please click 'Login' below to continue.
If you do not have an account, won't you take a moment to join for free by clicking the 'Register' button below?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RelenTech Forum
My goal for RelenTech is to provide small, easy-to-use software to the public. My emphasis is on practicality and performance, not eye-catching graphics, or useless functions. Most of my software performs just as well, and in some cases, better, than most 'commercial' programs that provide the same services. RelenTech software uses barely any system resources, even when doing CPU-intensive operations, so there is never a problem with system 'freezes'.

If you already have an account, please click 'Login' below to continue.
If you do not have an account, won't you take a moment to join for free by clicking the 'Register' button below?
RelenTech Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skip the Annoying 'Use the Web service to find the correct program' Dialog

Go down

Skip the Annoying 'Use the Web service to find the correct program' Dialog Empty Skip the Annoying 'Use the Web service to find the correct program' Dialog

Post by relentlesstech Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:40 pm

If you’ve used Windows for any length of time, you’ve likely tried to open a file with an unknown extension. Instead of getting a list of programs to open the file with, you get an annoying dialog asking you to use a web service to find a program. So how do we change this?

You can use a registry hack to force Windows to skip this dialog altogether, and give you a list of applications to use to open the file instead, just as if you had selected the second option.

When you double-click on a file with an unknown extension, Windows presents you with this irritating dialog: "Use the Web service to find the correct program"

1. Open regedit through the start menu search or run box, and then browse down to the following key (Create the key if it doesn’t exist):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
\Explorer

2. Create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side with the following values:
Name: NoInternetOpenWith
Value: 1

The change should be immediate, no need to restart anything. To reset back to default, set the value to 0 or delete the key.
relentlesstech
relentlesstech
Admin

http://relentech.nstars.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum