RelenTech Forum
My goal for RelenTech is to provide small, easy-to-use software to the public. My emphasis is on practicality and performance, not eye-catching graphics, or useless functions. Most of my software performs just as well, and in some cases, better, than most 'commercial' programs that provide the same services. RelenTech software uses barely any system resources, even when doing CPU-intensive operations, so there is never a problem with system 'freezes'.

If you already have an account, please click 'Login' below to continue.
If you do not have an account, won't you take a moment to join for free by clicking the 'Register' button below?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RelenTech Forum
My goal for RelenTech is to provide small, easy-to-use software to the public. My emphasis is on practicality and performance, not eye-catching graphics, or useless functions. Most of my software performs just as well, and in some cases, better, than most 'commercial' programs that provide the same services. RelenTech software uses barely any system resources, even when doing CPU-intensive operations, so there is never a problem with system 'freezes'.

If you already have an account, please click 'Login' below to continue.
If you do not have an account, won't you take a moment to join for free by clicking the 'Register' button below?
RelenTech Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevent Windows Update from Forcibly Rebooting Your Computer

Go down

Prevent Windows Update from Forcibly Rebooting Your Computer Empty Prevent Windows Update from Forcibly Rebooting Your Computer

Post by relentlesstech Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Prevent Windows Update from Forcibly Rebooting Your Computer

We’ve all been at our computer when the Windows Update dialog pops up and tells us to reboot our computer.

The real problem comes into play when Windows gets tired of reminding us and says that the computer is going to reboot in 5 minutes, and the only way you can prevent the inevitable is to temporarily disable Windows Update.

There’s a couple of ways that we can disable this behavior, however. You’ll still get the prompt, but it won’t force you to shut down.

1. Open up regedit through the start menu search box or run dialog, and navigate down to the following key, creating new keys if they don’t exist.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
\WindowsUpdate\AU

2. Create a new 32-bit DWORD value named NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and give it a value of 1 to prevent automatic reboot while users are logged on.

Delete the value to put things back to the way they were.
relentlesstech
relentlesstech
Admin

http://relentech.nstars.org

Back to top Go down